Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Akshara

Finally the store is set up and I have someone helping me out at the store itself...which for me means freedom to travel, to find more products, to meet new people, interact with craftsmen and document the crafts! So looking forward to lots of that...
   I began my list of journeys with a visit to Delhi. The Dastakari Haat Samiti organized an exibhition called Akshara. In an attempt to bring crafts together with education. There were over a 100 products which used an Indian craft in tandem with an indian language...the effect was fantastic! There was so many interesting products...I was bowled over by a kalamkari wall hanging which used old telugu sayings to form a tree of life...I wish I had taken pictures to show what I mean but unfortunately I was too mesmerized by the whole thing to take any pictures...there were beautiful handwoven Jamdhani sarees with poetry, kabir dohas...there were some fantastic lamps made with carved alphabets, kashmiri trays and what not! Hopefully will get some of the products for The Secret Garden store. This is a traveling show, keep an eye out for it and definitely see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment